Successful positioning online can be challenging for any personal brand. Due to increasing focus on human connection and authenticity, there is still room for creative experiments on how to leverage available resources to build a unique personal brand. This process is challenging as there are many recommendations available online. Being able to process all that information overload requires time and effort. There is no one-size-fits-all approach. Each recommendation should be seen as a guideline, not as a must-do. Some of them will be reviewed below.
1. Choose a niche. When you narrow your focus to a specific niche, you will be able to build your expertise and reputation in that field. This will make it easier to find you. You also need to have a clear message and unique selling proposition (USP). This will make your business more memorable. It is also recommended not doing too much, as is the case with some entrepreneurs. This could backfire as you can end up being known for nothing in particular. Clear focus on a specific niche helps position you as the go-to source for industry information.
Challenges with your brand? Activate Me-aaS.
2. Identify what makes you unique. A personal brand is about who you are and not what you do. This means that you need to identify the key aspects of who you are. They will form the basis of your personal brand. It is recommended asking yourself at least these 5 questions: (1) What are your core values? (2) What is your personality? (3) What is your expertise? (4) What is your story? (5) What is your ‘why’? Your answers will help differentiate yourself and position yourself better against competition.
3. Build a personal marketing plan. Do not assume that your work will simply get noticed. In an increasingly competitive market, you need to fight for better visibility of your work. Start with building a personal marketing plan, which includes regular highlight reports, progress and results. You know best how to market yourself. Position yourself as a leader in your professional community. Show your value and build content around it.
4. Promote your brand. Once you have identified what your personal brand means, you need to think of how to promote your brand-building content. One of the most effective promotion channels for any personal brand is social media. They are easily accessible, most of the time free and give you a high level of control over promoting your brand. You do not need to promote your brand on every single platform. Only choose those that meet your needs.
5. Utilize your network. If you want to attract customers, use your network. It is one of the best assets to help you boost your exposure. To get noticed, tap into audiences where you can find your ideal customers. One option is to guest-post blogs on already well-established platforms. You could also speak on podcasts and network at relevant industry events. The more you tap into your network, the more value you can generate for your personal brand.
For updates, follow me on LinkedIn.